Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Shrimp

This evening I had planned on making the shrimp satay for dinner, but decided that I wasn't really in the mood for it. So I went to the trusty cookbook and looked at different shrimp recipies. This dinner ended up great and the kids and hubby loved it. We had Curried shrimp with cilantro, lime, and garlic, with rice, and corn and peas. I used Uncle Ben's chicken rice and it took about 20 minutes to make, so time accordingly. We really like frozen veggies. They are picked at the peak of their growing season and frozen to make sure they are great. I had some corn and peas and the kids said they wanted both. I combine them in a small glass bowl with a lid. I don't add water (because when they cook the ice in them melts and puts enough water in), but I do add butter (Country crock tub butter with calcium is what we use)...just a large spoonfull, and salt & pepper. Then I nuked them for 5 min, stirred and went again another 3 min. Yummy!



Curried Shrimp with Cilantro, Lime, & Garlic
Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals pg. 186

2 tea. olive oil
3 medium shallots, minced (I had one really large one that I used)
2 to 3 cloves garlic, to taste, minced
1 1/2 tea. curry powder
1 cup reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth (I used beef broth, because I had some in the fridge)
1 1/4 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice (I used bottled lime juice...it's what I had on hand and tastes the same...to me)
1/2 cup low fat sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Add the shrimp and lime juice and simmer until the shrimp are bright pink and cooked through, about 3 mintues. Remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.

EnJoY!

I ended up combining the rice and shrimp so that the yummy shrimp juice moistened up the rice. It tasted sooo good and everyone was happy with this meal. I will do it again. My only caution would be that the curry and garlic really smell up the house, so do it when you know you won't be having company over anytime soon to air out.

No comments: