Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spring Break Menu, Shopping List, & Mondays recipie

This week is spring break for us so I have planned not only my dinners, but also my breakfasts, lunches, and snacks. I do NOT like to waste my time trying to figure out what I am going to make to eat when we have so much more things we'd rather be doing. I'm not saying that I will stick to the menu everyday. I may move things around and or delete things due to change in plans or whatnot, but I want to have the food on hand just in case it's needed. So, without further adu, I give you.....my menu and grocery list for this week.............

Menu:
Monday: Breakfast- Pantcakes (pancakes really, but my kids called them pantcakes when they were little & it stuck)
Lunch- Pizza Sticks
Snack- bugs on a log (aka celery with peanut butter & raisins)
Dinner- Baked fish with parsley, green beans, rolls, and baked apples for dessert
Activity- bake Angel cookies with M's Easy Bake Oven

Tuesday: Breakfast- Breakfast Tacos
Lunch- Ham & Cheese sandwiches
Snack- Fruit Kabobs with fruit dip
Dinner- Chicken Caccitore with wild mushrooms and rice
Activity- make cake balls

Wednesday: Breakfast- Toaster Struddles
Lunch- PB & J (going on a picnic, keeping it easy)
Snack- Orange smiles
Dinner- Baked ziti with sausage and a salad

Thursday: Breakfast- Green Eggs and ham (today is St. Patrick's Day...you'll see a theme today) with green milk
Lunch- hoping to go see daddy for lunch today
Snack- make Pistachio pudding (watch it turn green)
Dinner- Beef & Noodles in Thai Peanut Sauce with Mint Brownies

Friday: Breakfast- Cinnamon rolls (from the can)
Lunch- left open in case I skip something this week
Snack- popcorn
Dinner- no plan yet

Saturday: Breakfast- french toast
Dinner- Shrimp Satay on the grill with rice

Sunday: Breakfast- Cereal
Dinner- Chicken Enchiladas with refried beans and cheese and chips & salsa & guac.

Shopping List:
(remember if there is a * then you need the item for a recipe...everthing else is for our weekly needed stuff)
*1 green bell pepper
*2 red bell peppers
*scallions
lettuce
strawberries (for the kebobs)
apples (for the kebobs)
bananas
*sweet onion
*1 cup wild mushrooms
*1 1/2 lbs shrimp (large, raw, peeled, deveined) throw in freezer as soon as you get home
*sausage
*4 white fish fillets (your favorite, we usually do tilapa)
* 1 1/4 lbs. lean flank steak cut into 1/4 in. strips
lunch meat...ham
hot dogs
*2 cup bag shredded mexican cheese
block of colby cheese
*15 ounces ricotta
*parmesian cheese
bread
cereal
breakfast bars
Mrs. Buttersworth
poptarts
Nilla wafers
*ziti noodles
*black bean sauce
*2 28ounce beef broth
*1 cup chicken broth
*8 ounces tomato sauce
pistachio pudding mix
*dry roasted peanuts
Gatorade
melting chocolate
*2 rolls of Pilsburry rolls (whatever you like...they are for sides)
*1 roll of Pilsburry breadsticks
Toaster Struddles
2 frozen pizzas
Monday:
Breakfast: pantcakes (recipe from Bisquick box...altered a bit)
2 cups Bisquick mix
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
dash (in our case...a whole lotta) cinnamon
Stir to combine. Pour onto greased griddle. Cook till edges are dry and you see bubbles in the middle of the pancakes. Turn, cook until golden. Can serve with a side of bacon or sausage, fruit and milk or OJ.

Lunch: we ended up goning to a movie and ate lunch at Target. Let me tell you, Target is a great cheap place to get lunch. The three of us ate for $9. The kids each had mac & cheese, apples & caramel, milk. I had nachos & a soft drink.

Snack: Since we ate popcorn at the movie and a late lunch we didn't have a snack.

Dinner: Baked fish with parsley, green beans, rolls, and baked apples.
Baked Fish with parsley (Gooseberry Patch Quick & Easy Pg. 82)
1 lb. fish fillets
1/2 cup butter, melted
2Tbs. lemon juice
1/4 cup minced onion
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried parsley

Place fillets in a lightly greased 13" x 9" baking dish. In a small mixing bowl (I melted my butter in a measuring cup and used it to mix in) blend together remaining ingredients and pour over fish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 4 to 5 servings. I also put the rolls in the oven and baked it all for 30 minutes.

While the fish was baking I made the green beans. I snapped off the ends and put them all into a large skillet with some water (just to cover the bottom of the pan), covered the pan and boiled for 5 mintues. Drain the water from the skillet and add some minced garlic, diced onion, a dash of nutmeg, 2 Tbs. butter, and seasoning salt. Saute until the beans are golden and the onion is translucient, about 4 or so mintues.

I also make my own tarter sauce for the fish since I don't really like store bought. I don't measure anything when I make this, I just eyeball it and taste it. To make the tarter I mix together about 2 cups Mayo, 1 Tbs. yellow mustard, 1 Tbs. sugar (we like it sweet), 2 Tbs. sweet relish, a dash of paprika, salt and pepper.

Baked apples:
Core 2 red apples (for 4 people) and put into a baking dish. Add a pat of butter in each and sprkinle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Top with marshmallows and broil until marshmallows are brown. (I usually use red hots instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg, but wouldn't you know it, we were out of them and I didn't realize it!)

I did not get any pictures. But I'll try to for the rest of the week. I did this fish recipe for the first time. We thought that it was ok. I usually just throw some fish in a baking dish and season it up with seasoning that we like and bake it till it flakes apart. But I wanted to try something else. It was good, but not great. There was a TON of  butter and the seasoning was just ok. Not very strong.

EnJoY!

No comments: