Friday, March 18, 2011

Cake Balls

It's Friday and my wonderful husband suprised us today by taking the day off of work and taking us out for a family fun day. We ate breakfast at McDonald's, and a late lunch/earlyier than old people eat dinner at TGI Friday's. I did not cook one bit of food today, so I can not share any recipies with you.

BUT the other day I did make cake balls. OH MY GOODNESS! I don't like sweets. I love to make all kids of bad food, but I don't like to eat it. But cake balls. WOW! Sooooo goooooood. And super easy to make. Not to mention, you can mix and match until your hearts' content. I had a lot of chocolate cake leftover from a cake that I had made the weekend before, so I made chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting in milk chocolate.

Cake Balls:
Cake
Frosting
Melting chocolate

Bake the cake and let it cool. Once it's cool, put it in the mixer and mix it up until it's all broken apart. Then mix in a container of frosting (or make a batch of it and mix it in). Mix the whole mess together and put it in the fridge overnight. Take it out and line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Using a melon baller, make a bunch of balls with the cake mixture. Freeze for 1 hour (the more frozen the better). Melt 2 cups of chocolate in the microwave, in 30 second increments, stirring after 30 seconds each time, until it's all melted. Pull the cake balls out of the freezer and using a toothpick, dip each ball into the chocolate. Use another toothpick to help get the ball off of the other toothpick & back onto the wax paper to cool. If the balls start sticking to the toothpicks, put them back into the freezer for a bit to harden back up. Drizzle some chocolate over top to make them look pretty. Keep them in the fridge...or I freeze mine. They keep longer this way and I think they taste better frozen.


(This picture does not do justice to how yummy these are!)

EnJoY!

No comments: