Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patty's Day dishes

It's Friday and I didn't post yesterday and I'm late posting today. Sorry! It's been a busy couple of days.
Thursday was St. Patty's day. We started off the day with green eggs, toast, and green milk. They tried the green milk and decided that since it still tasted the same, it was ok to drink. The green eggs on the other had did not go over at all. It did not matter what color the eggs were, they were not going to be eaten...with out a fight. They eventually got eaten, but I think next year, we'll just have cereal with green milk. To make the green eggs, I just cracked 5 eggs into a bowl and added a few squirts of green food coloring, added some shredded cheddar cheese and scrambled them up in the skillet. Same with the green milk, I put 2 drops of green food coloring into the cups and added the milk. Easy peasey.

(I have tried and tried to get my pic here, but I can't get it to work, sorry you can't see our lovely green eggs and green milk)

After breakfast, we decided to head over to have lunch with daddy. I wanted to make a special St. Patty's Day treat to take with me. I had found some mint Hershey's kisses at Target that had a recipe on it that I wanted to try. So I whipped up a batch of cookie brownie cupcakes. They were super easy and quick. Once they are cool, you put the kiss on top. I learned the hard way that you have to wait until they cool or else the kiss melts. So even if you want to hury them along, WAIT!



We were going to do Pistachio pudding for snack, but didn't get back in time. So, we'll have to do it another time and just enjoy the green.

For dinner we had Beef and Noodels in thai peanut sauce. It was good and we'd had it before (but I'd forgotten that we had). It's not full of flavor, but it's good.

Beef and Noodles in Thai Peanut sauce
(Robin Miller Quick Fix Meals pg. 88)

8 oz. somen or soba noodles or whole wheat spaghetti (I used rice noodles b/c I had some that I wanted to use up)

Thai Peanut Sauce:
3 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
2 Tbs. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs. creamy peanut butter (I used Jiff...because I'm a choosy mom)
2 tea. toasted seasme oil
1 tea. hot sauce (I did not put this in and whished I had for a little extra flavor)

Pad Thai:
1 Tbs. peanut oil (I didn't have this, so I just used olive oil and it was just fine)
1 tea. peeled & minced fresh ginger (I used a tube of refridgerated ginger)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded & diced
1 1/4 lbs lean beef steak (such as sirloin or flank), cut crosswise in 1/4 inch strips
1/4 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
1/4 cup chopped scallions (white and green parts)

Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Drain, transfer to a large bowl, and cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap to keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, whisk together the sauce ingredients until well blende and set the pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the beef and cook, stirring, for 2 mintues. Add 1 cup of the peanut sauce and simmer until the beef is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the beef mixture to the noodles and toss to combine, then serve on individual plates topped with the peanuts and scallions.

EnJoY!



Like I said this was good, just not FULL of flavor. It makes a lot of peanut sauce so you can either make this a couple of times, make less sauce, or make something else like stirfry with the extra.

No comments: