Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tropical Fruit-glazed ham with sweet onions and yukon gold potatoes

Well, no pictures again tonight. Sorry! I may have to rething the whole picture thing. At least I'm getting the recipies up though! I was very suprised at this recipe tonight. I liked it. I wasn't sure as I was cooking it if I would like it, but other than the potatoes being a little dry, it tasted really good. This was all that we had, although, we did have some cookies that I baked up quickly for dessert. They were the frozen kind that I bought from an elementary school kid's fundraiser...nothing really exciting!

Tropical Fruit-glazed ham with sweet onions and yukon gold potatoes:
4 med. yukon gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 2-in. pieces
2 tea. peanut oil (I couldn't find this, so I used evoo and it was just fine)
1/2 Vidalia or red onion (I used a red onion), cut in half and thinly sliced into half-moons
one 8 oz. can tropcial fruit salad in passion fruit nectar
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1/2 tea. black pepper
1 lb. thick-cut deli ham

Place potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Set over high heat, bring to a boil, and boil until the potatoes are fork tender, about 8 min. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over med. heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 min. Add the fruit along with the juice from the can, the brown sugar, soy sauce, and pepper, bring to a simmer and simmer until the liquid thickens and reduces slightly, about 5 min. Add the ham slices and potatoes, simmer for 2 min to heat through.

Plate and enjoy!

No comments: