Friday, June 25, 2010

Pan-seared turkey with apples, melted blue cheese and pecans

I'm not a turkey fan. I'm just not. At Thanksgiving I forgo the turkey and head straight to the ham. I mean, I am that cooks our Thanksgiving dinner. So, no one gets the option for picking...so ham it is. But when my wonderful hubby picked out turkey for dinner I was a bit reluctant. I must say, though, I was suprised and I liked the turkey. The kids liked it as well, except the mouthfull of blue cheese at one point. I served my famous frozen veggies that I microwaved with butter and salt and pepper. I know it's not that great, but at least they are veggies for the kids.

Pan-seared Turkey with Apples, melted Blue Cheese, and Pecans

2 tea. evoo
1 lb. cooked turkey tenderloin (I bought a marinated turkey tenderloin and baked it in the oven during the day) cut into 1/2 in. slices
Salt and pepper
1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tea. dried
1 cup applesauce
1 apples (Granny Smith) cored, peeled, and diced
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup chopped pecans

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of the turkey slices with salt and pepper. Rub the thyme into both sides of the slices. Place the turkey in the hot pan and cook 1 to 2 min. per side, until golden brown. Add the applesauce, apples, and onion, bring to a simmer, and simmer for 5 min, until the onion and apples are tender. Stir in the blue cheese and cook for 1 min. until the cheese melts.

Transfer the turkey and sauce to individual plates (or a serving platter) and top with the pecans just before serving.
Cook some frozen veggies (as much as you'll need for your family). Put them into a microwave safe bowl with a lid, add butter, salt and pepper. Microwave 2 min. and stir. Re-microwave for 2 more min. or longer until heated through.  


Plate and enjoy!

No comments: