Thursday, April 14, 2011

Taco Salad

Tuesday night we had taco salad for dinner. This is one of our family favorites and I love when spring and summer roll around so we can have it more often. That may sound weird, but to me taco salad is a spring and summer dinner. Not a fall and winter dinner. It's quick and easy and yummy. This is my husband's family recipe that I have tweaked a bit. You can add on to or take away from if you don't like something in it. Here goes.....

Taco Salad

1 lb. hamburger meat
1 package taco seasoning
lettuce
tomatoes
onion
shredded colby jack cheese
1 can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can of corn, drained
Catalina salad dressing
Dorito's

Brown the hamburger meat and drain. Follow the directions on the seasoning packet and make the taco meat. Cut the lettuce, tomatoes, and onion. I like to put out all of the ingredients into seperate bowls so that everyone can make their own salad the way that they like it. I drain and rinse the kidney beans in a small collander, then drain the corn right on top and mix together. Next, I get a large food keeper with a lid. I make the kids salads first since they dislike the most in the salad. I put lettuce in, cheese, the kidney beans and corn, dressing and crushed Dorito's. Put the lid on and give it a big shimmy shake. Next, I make my hubby's salad since I can use the left-over kids salad but add some onions and make it bigger for him. Shake it up. Whatever is left, I add tomatoes to, and make my salad. This usually makes a large salad and gives us more than we can eat, so I don't do anyother sides or desserts with this dinner. I don't like to make it ahead of time or make it all at once, becuase we won't eat it all and it'll go bad if I mix it all up at one time. This way, I can make it really easy for a later meal.
EnJoY!

No comments: