Friday, April 22, 2011

Chicken dance...

Last night we had Chicken Florentine. It was really good. It had spinach with it that the kids were not fond of, but they tried it and pushed it off to the side then ate the rest of their dinner. We decided that this is a keeper. We all liked it and think we'd enjoy it again sometime. It was really fast to cook, like under 30 minutes and I made lots of extra rice for my hubby to make for breakfast for himself and for me to make some rice pudding with (I'll share this yummy recipe later this week, when I make it!).

Chicken Florentine
Kraft Magazine 2007 pg. 38



3 Tbs. zesty Italian dressing, divided. (I used the Roasted Red Pepper Italian with Parmesan dressing from earlier in the week, since I had it on hand and wanted to use it up)
4 cups baby spinach leaves (or whatever your family will eat)
4 small boneless chicken breast halves (again, or whatever your family will eat)
8 slices coldmeat ham (I used honey maple ham, which is what I use for ham sammy's for lunch)
swiss cheese slices (as many as you need for the chicken breasts)
1 cup uncooked rice

Make the rice according to the directions on the package.

Heat 1 Tbs. of the dressing in a large ovenproof skillet (I used my large cast iron skillet and it worked great!) on med. heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for 1 min. until the spinach is just wilted. I did mine a little too long and it got pretty mushy, but still tasted good. Remove from skillet and keep warm. (I put mine into a glass pie plate and stuck it into the micorwave).
Add the remaining 2 Tbs. of dressing and the chicken to the skillet. Turn the chicken over to coat it evenly with the dressing. Cook 5 to 6 minutes on each side until the chicken is cooked through (170 degrees).
Top with ham and cheese, cover and reduce heat to lot and cook 1 to 2 min. until cheese melts. Or, you can put the skillet into the broiler to brown; which is what I did. Spoon the spinach onto plates as well as the rice. Top with a chicken breast.

EnJoY!

No comments: