Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wednesday August 3rd

Well, we didn't really stick to the menu at all today, except for dinner.

Breakfast: Breakfast tacos cereal
Lunch: grilled cheese with spaghetti O's Chick-fil-a
Snack: Chocolate Monkey Shake late lunch so no snack today
Dinner: Spaghetti with homemade venison sauce and garlic bread

See, what'd I tell ya?! We stuck to nothing but the dinner! It was good though. And I know that I've shared this recipe on here a few times before, but I made it a tad bit different on here, so I'll repost again.

Also, if you've noticed, I do a lot of recipies out of Paula Deen's cookbook Paula Deen and Friends Living it up Southern Style. This is probably one of my favortie cookbooks. If you don't have it, I highly reccomend you go out and get it. I was given this cookbook about 3 years ago from some great friends in Houston. They were our neighbors and unfortunatly we just lost one of them. But everytime I cook from this book I get to think of him and the great times we all had together. It's amazing what therapy a little cooking can do for a person. And now I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to make some Lemon Blossoms.

Sorry...moving on....


Alice Jo's Spaghetti Sauce
Paula Deen Family and Friends Living it up, Southern Style Pg. 177

1 1/2 pounds hamburger (I used 1 pound venison sausage...we had it and it needed to be used)
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic- chopped
12 ounces tomato paste
8 ounces tomato sauce
14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes
1 Tbs. Italian seasoning
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
splash of good red wine

Brown meat in a large pot. Drain fat. Add the onions, green pepper, and garlic. Saute until onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and seasonings. I just happened to be drinking a glass of wine while making dinner, and decided to "pour some for my homies" right on into the pot. The recipe calls for 1 cup water, I figured the wine could be used in place of the water. It really added a depth to the sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes.

Boil another pot of water. Add the spaghetti and boil 10 to 15 minutes, or until the pasta is done. Drain.

For the bread, I bought a garlic bread from the bakery and followed the directions on the bag. It just looked really good and I figured it'd be good to give it a try. It was ok, but I think I'll stick to making my own from now on.

Place the pasta on a place and spoon some sauce on top. Add a slice of bread and EnJoY!

* Just a little note, I HONESTLY could NOT tell the difference in the meat in the sauce. It tasted just a good with venison as it does with hamburger. The only difference I noticed was that the venison did not get as small as the hamburger does when I browned it. I like to get my hamburger small when browning, and I just couldn't get this into small chunks. But it was good nonetheless.

No comments: